I did not watch Main Vaapas Aaunga only as a story of love, Partition and memory. As a photographer and visual artist, I found myself watching its visual language, particularly its colours, repetitions and fragments.
One colour gradually began demanding my attention:
Red.
Red appears repeatedly through clothing, turbans, dupattas, interiors, objects and, importantly, roses. Individually these may seem like ordinary elements of art direction. But when they keep returning, repetition itself becomes something worth observing.
The film follows an elderly man suffering from dementia after neurological trauma, moving between a fragile present and fragments of memory. Watching this, I began making an unexpected visual connection:
brain → blood → memory → red
I am not claiming that this was necessarily the filmmakers' deliberate intention. Rather, this is what the film's visual language made me see.
Then the roses became particularly interesting.
A red rose is an obvious symbol of love. But here, love exists within memory, while memory itself is becoming unstable. The rose therefore began to suggest more than romance to me love, life, memory, fragility, loss and decay.
I started seeing the recurring red almost as a visual bloodstream running through the film.
Red can be love.
Red can be blood.
Red can suggest violence.
Red can signify life.
Red can carry loss.
This became even more compelling when I considered the film's relationship with Partition.
Partition fractures historical memory, separating people from homes, places and familiar landscapes.
Dementia fractures personal memory, separating a person from parts of their own past.
These are very different forms of rupture, but the film allows them to echo each other.
Both leave fragments behind:
A face.
A house.
A road.
A voice.
A flower.
A colour.
My collage is therefore not intended to prove a fixed meaning behind the colour red. It is simply a visual study, an attempt to make visible a repetition that I noticed while watching the film.
For me, this is where cinema becomes particularly fascinating.
Cinema itself is made from fragments: individual images assembled into movement, time and memory. We may not remember an entire film as a continuous experience. Sometimes what remains is a face, a gesture, a particular light, or simply a colour.
So I am less interested in claiming what the filmmakers intended than in asking:
What did the film make me see?
For me, Main Vaapas Aaunga made me see memory turning red.
And once I noticed it, I could no longer unsee it.

No comments:
Post a Comment